Witold Libionka, MD, PhD
A specialist in neurosurgery and neurotraumatology
Head of the Department of Neurosurgery Vital Medic
President of the Polish Society of Neuromodulation INS, consultant at the Department of Neurosurgery of the “Nicolaus Copernicus” Hospital in Gdańsk.
International consultant, teacher and lecturer in the field of functional and oncological neurosurgery with the use of functional mapping. Expert in the field of deep brain stimulation, stimulation of the spinal cord and peripheral nerves, intrathecal baclofen treatment with pumps and resection of glial tumors of the brain in eloquent areas, with intraoperative awakening and electrophysiological monitoring of speech, movement, vision, hearing and sense of touch (over a thousand procedures of that kind).
He has been involved in neurosurgery since 1998, when he started his scientific activity, and then, while receiving a scholarship from the Minister of Health, he took an individual course of studies at the Department of Neurosurgery and Neurotraumatology of the Collegium Medicum of the Jagiellonian University. He continued his education at doctoral studies at the Faculty of Medicine at CMUJ in Krakow (2002-2006). During his specialization in neurosurgery at the Department of Neurosurgery and Neurotraumatology, CMUJ in Krakow (2003-2010), he participated in numerous trainings, increasing his professional qualifications (including trainings in Poland, USA, Germany, France). He completed an annual scientific and clinical scholarship in the field of functional and stereotactic neurosurgery at the Department of Neurosurgery at the University of Rochester, USA. Combining professional and scientific work, he conducts several dozen surgical procedures a month and participates in numerous scientific and research projects. He is the author or co-author of nearly one hundred publications and reports. His work on the mechanisms of action of deep brain stimulation has been awarded at national and international conferences and has been published in Nature Medicine and Nature Neuroscience.
Main professional interests
- Functional neurosurgery – neurosurgical treatment of extrapyramidal diseases, including: Parkinson’s disease, dystonia, tremors, Huntington’s disease. Treatment of pain of central and peripheral origin and migraine headaches with the use of neurostimulation of the motor cortex, spinal cord and peripheral nerves. Neurosurgical treatment of trigeminal neuralgia and glossopharyngeal neuralgia (neurovascular decompression). Psychoneurosurgery. Understanding the mechanisms of neuromodulation at the cellular level (neurotransmitter systems, effector cell populations).
- Vascular neurosurgery – neurosurgical and combined treatment of vascular defects of the central nervous system (aneurysms, arteriovenous hemangiomas, cavernous hemangiomas).
- Neurooncology – treatment of primary and metastatic tumors of the brain, spinal cord, cranial nerves and the base of the skull and spine with the use of intraoperative electrophysiological monitoring, intraoperative waking, intraoperative magnetic resonance imaging, microsurgical and endoscopic techniques.
- Neurosurgery of the spine – microsurgical treatment of discopathy, degenerative changes and spinal injuries with the use of implants and minimally invasive and percutaneous techniques.
- Neurotraumatology, include complex reconstruction after cranio-cerebral injuries.
- 2011 PhD thesis defense: The role of adenosine in the mechanism of high-frequency stimulation of the brain
- 2008-2011 European School of Neurosurgery organized by the European Association of Neurosurgical Societies EANS
- 2010 An exam of neurosurgery
- 2005-2006 Scientific and clinical scholarship at the Department of Neurosurgery, University of Rochester, USA, in the field of functional and stereotactic neurosurgery
- 2004 Conference Scholarship of the Foundation for Polish Science (3rd edition)
- 2002-2006 Doctoral studies at the Faculty of Medicine of the Collegium Medicum of the Jagiellonian University
- 2000-2001 Scholarship of the Ministry of Health
- 1998-2001 Research and individual studies at the Department of Neurosurgery and Neurotraumatology, Collegium Medicum of the Jagiellonian University in Krakow
- 1995-2001 Medical studies – Medical Faculty of the Collegium Medicum UJ in Krakow
- From 2021, the Head of the Department of Neurosurgery at Vital Medic in Kluczbork
- 2011-2020 Neurosurgery Ward of the “Nicolaus Copernicus” Pomeranian Traumatology Center in Gdansk
- 2005-2006 – The Teaching Department of Neurosurgery of the Rochester University, USA
- 2001-2011 – The Teaching Department of Neurosurgery and Neurotraumatology of the Collegium Medicum UJ in Krakow